Flat fire Maida Vale

A flat in Maida Vale was set on fire by an incense stick left unattended.

Firefighters rushed to a four roomed apartment on Elgin Avenue at 9.03pm on Tuesday night, after a blaze damaged the second floor of a terraced house.

Seven people evacuated the building before the fire brigade arrived. Firemen rescued one woman from a neighbouring property. No injuries were reported.

The fire was under control by 10.29pm and is believed to have been caused by an unattended fragrance stick which was set alight.

Firefighters rushed to a blaze at Elgin Avenue, Maida Vale. Image: London Fire Brigade.

A spokesperson for London Fire Brigade said: “Candles, incense sticks, and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire. It is really important that you never leave them unattended and keep them away from anything that could catch fire such as curtains, furniture and clothes.

“We advise to place these in a suitable fire resistant candleholder which won’t be knocked over, and make sure you put them out entirely when you leave the room and especially before bed.”

Forty firefighters and six fire engines from Paddington, North Kensington, Kensington and West Hampstead attended the incident.

Image: London Fire Brigade.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: